Wednesday, December 8, 2010

November 30, 2010

I arrived at class an hour late due to traffic, and was very, VERY behind in the sculpture unit. We were to stay in our groups from last week. I joined-up with Chelsea and Alana who also had been a little behind due to absence. I was able to partake in the tape-casting, and lashing with cardboard strips.  This is the result of our tape-casting (courtesy of Alexandra Gerbe) I think students would be very excited about altering their familiar spaces with these impermanent installations.


I missed being able to make an observational drawing of the ball shapes placed on a table.  I almost deliberately put it off, because I wanted to be able to work in 3D, which is not typically how I work. The collaboration and installation of our pieces is what made this unit so exciting. Again, I am always remarking at how immediate these things can be for students if I handle the lesson in the same way that we experienced it. What I really like about Media & Materials is the structure for the way that we arrive at our content, and how instantly producible a final piece is for many of our exercises.

I felt that the stations for this project had a whole new DNA. For some reason I had a totally different experience with these stations because we didn't have to scramble for the same inking area or tool. I didn't feel like I was in line, or had to be assertive to get my work done or rush to accommodate another student. This was an important lightbulb moment for me as far as what types of stations work with different media. Not that I didn't agree with the printmaking stations, in fact, I think it makes the most sense to have a standing-up-and-moving-around rotation when printing.

Alana, Chelsea and I had a lengthy conversation about using Christmas lights within our tape spheres. There is something about the translucency and texture of these objects that lends itself to thinking about light. I viewed several classmate's blogs and realized that I might have missed the discussion on this very topic with Aileen. (see photo left courtesy of Romina)

No comments:

Post a Comment