Monday, September 20, 2010

It always seems to happen that way....

Did you ever notice, that you will be going along, and you will be introduced to something, an idea or person, or place, and then suddenly that new thing seems to start to flow and expand, like a river current taking things along with it, and the following days, or weeks, that thing seems to be everywhere and resurfacing. It gets mentioned in other conversations. It shows up on TV or in the magazine you are reading. On top of that, you keep making random connections to that idea, or person, or place? I love when that happens!

It seems as if the things my antenna pick up on, are in a flow. In class an Artist named Jean Shin was mentioned in class and her name seemed so familiar to me. www.jeanshin.com

Alterations, 1999

Fabric (pants scraps) and wax
2 ft h x 12 ft w x 12 ft d
Collection of Peter Norton, Santa Monica
I could have sworn that I read something about a piece that she had done with the leftover cuffs from people's pants, and sure enough it was the same artist. I was curious about the piece that was discussed in class, the altered trophies that make heroes and icons out of average people doing average things. Especially because of my previous post about Slinkachu, also because of the ongoing discussion about found objects being recycled or the use of the part of the object that gets left behind (like the game pieces and the cuffs seen here). I like the idea of using objects that have an element of play inherent in them to experiment with in the classroom, and I love the idea that the element of play can be the project or piece in-and-of-itself. The next interesting thing about play with respect to this particular artist is shown here in her other piece entitled "Chemical Balance III, 2009" that uses prescription bottles, mirror and epoxy, fluorescent lights. The context: prescription bottles could carry a very heavy theme of illness or disease, but that is not the take in this piece. This piece simply beautifies an everyday household item with repetition and play. It also creates a sense of place maybe a cave, or alien geography which flows into our themes of hidden spaces and secret places.

I very much enjoyed the project for this week using the Tyvek, but it has sent me off on this "paper" project tangent, and although I am loving the theme of typography, I may want to explore the material with this secret and hidden places theme.

Everyday Monuments, 2009

Sports trophies, painted cast and sculpted resins, projections
Floor Installation: Dimensions variable, approximately 7.33 ft h x 5 ft w x 45 ft d
Wall Projection: 9.33 ft h x 42 ft w
Commissioned by the Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, D.C. for the exhibition,
Jean Shin: Common Threads

Chemical Balance, 2005-09

Chemical Balance III, 2009
Prescription bottles, mirror and epoxy, fluorescent lights
5 units, from 18 to 40 inches in diameter
Overall dimensions variable
Installation at Smithsonian American Art Museum, Washington, D.C.

1 comment:

  1. Alessandra-

    I LOVE JEAN SHIN!! I got a chance to meet her and she is SO COOL!

    Anyway, I like how your blog is very informal and personal ( I too feel like after discussing something I think back and am constantly reminded of it all week! Kudos to all the fun artist pictures and the sweet background theme of stars.. it reminds me of your illustrations in your weekly drawings.

    As for technical stuff, I think just referring back to the sheet Aileen passed out. What I do is generally start with the beginning of class (what we did, how it was laid out, materials, motivation etc) and then reflect on the things you liked, disliked, and things you might change. Also remember if you forget all of that, always end with the question "What could I take from this experience and use it with kids?"

    :)

    ReplyDelete